Our travel policy allows you to travel with peace of mind knowing that should anything go wrong, you have the best level of protection.The product is designed to cater for standard travelling needs whether you are travelling for business, pleasure or otherwise.
The travel policy includes worldwide travel assistance on a 24/7 basis from our call-centre in Malta.
|Section Limits per person||Low Cost Euro||Economy Euro||Club Euro||Excess Euro per person|
|2Bb||Treatment in Malta||750||1,000||1,250||Nil|
|4B||Baggage – Limit Per Item||300||750||1,000||—|
|4B||Baggage – Limit for valuables||600||1,000||1,000||—|
|4E||Rental Vehicle Policy Excess||300||400||500||Nil|
|6||Personal Accident – if under 16 years old||5,000||10,000||20,000||Nil|
Important Note: The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) provides you with free or reduced-cost emergency medical treatment in countries within the European Economic Area (EEA). Keep the EHIC card safe, preferably with your passport, and carry it with you when travelling within the EEA. For more information and/or to obtain the card please visit www.sahha.gov.mt and look for the section about EHIC.
Benefits & Advantages
Your MAPFRE Middlesea Insurance policy includes a wide range of interesting benefits for you:
- We cover you if the travel is unavoidably cancelled as a result of the departure from Malta being delayed for at least 24 hours.
- We will pay you for reasonable extra travel and lodging charges suffered due to the inevitable lengthening of your trip.
- Extra costs will be paid if you must abandon the trip because your home or that of your travelling companion(s) is made unfit to live in by fire, explosion, storm, flooding or impact by aircraft. We cover this event if it happens after you have purchased this policy or booked your trip, whichever is the later. We cover also the costs of your return if you or your travelling companion(s) is required by the police authorities to stay at home or at the place of work as a result of burglary or theft.
- Emergency medical treatments whilst you are abroad, comprised rescue services to take you to hospital, are included in the policy.
- If you are warned by a doctor that you should stay longer outside Malta than you planned, we include the cost of additional room only accommodation expenses of a similar kind to the one you previously had. We also cover the extra travel and room only accommodation costs of one relative who has to travel or stay with you, providing both if it is necessary.
- If your international transport by aircraft, ship or train is delayed on leaving abroad or returning back to Malta, we will pay you the amount fixed in the schedule for every 12 hour period you are delayed.
- We will pay you the expenses to substitute or mend your personal belongings if during your travel these are accidentally damaged, lost or stolen. This includes luggage, clothing, valuables, sports equipment, musical instruments and other items which you normally wear or carry with you.
- We cover the cost to obtain essential items if your luggage is temporarily lost (more than 12 hours).
- If you travel documents are accidentally damaged, lost or stolen when you are outside Malta we will cover extra travel, accommodation and communication expenses in order to obtain new ones.
- In the case of an accident during your trip, if anyone is bodily injured, we will cover you against your legal liability for damages, claimant’s costs and expenses.
This insurance protects you while you are travelling. In case of emergency, policyholders may reach our Call Centre on (+356) 2248 0209.
- With this insurance you can choose between 3 progressive levels of coverage with increasing compensations: Low Cost, Economy and Club. This policy applies only to persons resident in Malta who are taking conventional non-working holidays or business trips. We should be informed if you aim to include a planned sporting activity during your trip.
- If you cannot avoid cancelling or abandoning your trip, we will cover travel and accommodation expenses, including kennel and cattery fees, that you have already paid or contracted to pay and which you cannot get back. This includes too prepaid car hire, excursions, tours or leisure activities.
- We will pay for travel and accommodation expenses, including kennel and cattery fees already paid or contracted, prepaid car hire, excursions or activities, if your journey by air or sea is cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, natural catastrophes or labour strikes. We cover you if it is provided that such cancellation could not reasonably have been expected at the time of contracting the policy.
- We will pay you reasonable extra travel costs if you need to abandon the trip because you, your travelling companion(s), or your close relative(s), is seriously bodily injured, falls gravely ill or is quarantined.
- We will pay extra charges if you have to abandon your travel because you or your travelling companion(s) is called for jury service or as a witness in a Maltese court of law. Also, if you or your companion is unwillingly made redundant and registered as unemployed.
- We will pay for emergency medical treatments outside Malta including rescue services to take you to hospital. We also cover emergency dental treatment for the immediate relief of pain. We will not pay the cost of any non-emergency treatment or surgery which are not directly related to the illness or injury for which you originally went into hospital.
- We will pay you for loss of your personal money and financial loss resulting from any credit and debit cards issued in Malta, being stolen or accidentally lost and then used by someone other than you during your travel. This includes credit, debit, cheque, bankers or cash dispenser cards. We will not pay for any loss or robbery which you do not report to the authorities and obtain a written report from them within 24 hours of discovery.
Requirements & Restrictions
This policy has certain requirements that shall be evaluated by the customer. It is very important to consider them in order to decide which insurance policy satisfies better the policyholder needs.
- The policyholder must observe and fulfil the terms and conditions of this policy, in so far as they relate to anything to be done or complied with by the insured, as a condition precedent to any liability of MAPFRE Middlesea to make any payment.
- The insured must, at his own expense, take all reasonable precautions and observe all reasonable recommendations of Mapfre Middlesea to prevent loss or damage and comply with statutory requirements and manufacturers’ recommendations.
- Every notice and other communication to us required by the policy conditions must be written or printed.
Requirements & Restrictions
- We will not cover costs, expenses or fees for preparing any claim you execute under this policy.
- We will not pay for loss or damage occurring or coming from an incident which happens before this policy begins.
- Claims resulting from deception by you are not covered. We do not cover either claims arising from the owner’s pre-meditated or malicious acts.
- Where fraud (including exaggeration) is detected, claims will not be covered and we may refer it to the police for criminal prosecution.
- Loss or damage to the property insured or any loss or expense resulting or arising therefrom, or caused by ionising radiations, or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel, or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel are excluded. Damages caused by radioactive toxic explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component are also excluded.
- Loss or damage directly or indirectly occasioned by, happening through, or in consequence of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declare or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power are excluded.
- We do not cover loss or damage directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices travelling at sonic or supersonic speeds.
- If at the time of any loss resulting in a claim under this policy there is any other insurance or security covering the same loss, we will not be liable to pay or contribute more than a rateable proportion of such loss.
In case of theft, any loss or damage or accident which is likely to give rise to a claim must be communicated to the police. You have to provide all reasonable assistance in causing the discovery and punishment of any guilty person.
The policyholder may cancel this policy at any time during its term. Any refund of premium will be worked out from the date we receive the cancellation instructions. Provided no claim or loss has arisen in the present period of insurance, we will return part of the premium calculated on the company’s cancellation rates for the unexpired period of insurance less any long-term discount on premiums fixed.
If any difference arises related to the amount to be paid under this policy (liability being then admitted) such difference must be referred to an arbitrator to be appointed by the parties, in accordance with the statutory provisions in that behalf for the time being in force. The making of an award is a condition precedent to any right of action against us.
We may at any time use all legal means in the name of the policyholder for the recovery of any of the money lost and which forms the subject of a claim under the guarantees. The insured must give us all reasonable assistance for that purpose. We shall be entitled to any of the money for the loss of which a claim is paid hereunder, and the policyholder shall execute all such assignments and assurances in respect of such money as may be reasonably required.
MAPFRE Middlesea shall not be forced to offer or admit any renewal of the policy and may at any time give written notice of cancellation of cover to the insured at his last known address.
This policy shall be void in the event of misrepresentation, misdescription or non-disclosure in any particular. In all cases where this policy is void all premiums paid to us will be forfeited.